Berryman, Val Roy (1940-2013)
Curator of History
Berryman has served as Curator of History since 1967, the same year he received his M.A. degree from MSU. Curatorial duties include cataloging, researching and preservation of the museum's historical and cultural collections and making them available for study and exhibition. He assists in training students in museum philosophy and practice. Research specialties include rural life and agricultural history, photographic history with emphasis on stereo photographs, worldwide Christmas customs, graphic arts as they relate to the packaging and advertising of products and commodities, and the history of Michigan State University.
- Publications include over 40 articles written as an ongoing series on international Christmas customs for a periodical entitled "The Glow," published for collectors of antique Christmas objects, holiday documents and ephemera.
- Monthly "Great Lakes Lifestyles" contributor in "Michigan Farmer" magazine, featuring MSU Museum's historical collections.
- "Visit of St. Nicholas Illustrated by Thomas Nast," a chromolighographed volume published by Easton Press, 2010.
- An ongoing program of changing exhibits at various campus locations including the Union Building, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Veterinary Medicine, and the Football Stadium Tower.
- Annual Christmas exhibits at one or more of various Greater Lansing sites including Turner-Dodge House, Williamston Depot Museum, and MSU Museum.
- "Adventures in Time and the 3rd Dimension: Through the Stereoscope," opening Feb. 10, 2013
- "Michigan and the Civil War," 2011 to the present
- "Modern Day Cabinet of Curiosities," 2012
- "Sticks, Strings and Shadows: Puppets of Asia," 2011
- “The Federal Art Project: Supporting Good Artists in Bad Times,” on WPA programs for artists and craftspeople of Michigan during the Great Depression, Jan. 27 – Aug. 24, 2008.
- "Michigan State University Museum: 150 Years of Discovery," the Museum's own sesquicentennial exhibition, June 2007-2011.
- "Memories of MSU" Sesquicentennial exhibition, MSU Museum, February 20-Dec. 30, 2005
- "100 Years of Flight : Pioneers and Barnstormers," MSU Museum, July 21, 2003 - Feb. 8, 2004
- "The Age of Packaging" (presented in partnership with MSU's School of Packaging and in commemoration of the school's 50th anniversary), MSU Museum, Feb. 24 - Dec. 1, 2002
- "Santa's World," Lansing Mall, Nov. 9, 1996 - Jan. 5, 1997; Frandor Shopping Center Nov. 28, 1997 - Jan. 4, 1998
- "100 Seasons of Spartan Football," MSU Museum, Sept. 15, 1996 - Jan. 5, 1997
- "Death in America : Ritual and Memorial," MSU Museum, Feb. 11 - Aug. 11, 1996
M.A., Art & Sculpture, Michigan State University, 1967