Lovis, William A., Ph.D.
Curator of Anthropology, MSU Museum
Professor, Department of Anthropology
Books, Monographs, Edited Journal Issues
- Information and Its Role in Hunter-Gatherer Bands, coeditor with R. Whallon and R.K. Hitchcock, Ideas, Debates and Perspectives 5. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, University of California – Los Angeles, Los Angeles. (xvi+368 pp., 55 Figures and Plates, References) 2011. (Paper: ISBN 978-1-931745-64-2; Cloth: ISBN 978-1-931745-63-5)
- Guest co-editor with R. Whallon and R.E. Donahue. Special issue of Journal of Anthropological Archaeology, 25:175-274. 2006.
- Modeling Archaeological Site Burial in Southern Michigan: A Geoarchaeological Synthesis, coauthor with G.W. Monaghan. Environmental Research Series No. 1, Michigan Department of Transportation. Michigan State University Press, East Lansing. (v + 278pp, CD-ROM) 2005.
- An Upper Great Lakes Archaeological Odyssey: Essays in Honor of Charles E. Cleland, Editor. Cranbrook Institute of Science, Bloomfield Hills, MI. (xiv + 247 pp), 2004, (ISBN 0-87737-045-1)
Recent Articles and Book Chapters
- “Hardwood ash nixtamalization may lead to false negatives for the presence of maize by depleting bulk δ13C in carbonized residues”, with G. R. Urquhart, M. E. Raviele, and J. P. Hart. Journal of Archaeological Science. In Press.
- “The Potential of Bulk δ13C on Encrusted Cooking Residues as Independent Evidence for Regional Maize Histories”, with J. P. Hart, R. J. Jeske, and J. D. Richards. American Antiquity 76. 2011.
- “Space, Information and Knowledge: Ethnocartography and North American Boreal Forest Hunter-Gatherers, with R.E. Donahue. In Information and Its Role in Hunter-Gatherer Bands, edited by R. Whallon, W. A. Lovis and R. K. Hitchcock, pp. 59-88. Ideas, Debates, and Perspectives 5. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, University of California – Los Angeles, Los Angeles. 2011.
- “A Synopsis of Information and its Role in Hunter-Gatherer Band-Level Societies”, with R. Whallon. In Information and Its Role in Hunter-Gatherer Bands, edited by R. Whallon, W. A. Lovis and R. K. Hitchcock, pp. 281-288. Ideas, Debates, and Perspectives 5. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, University of California – Los Angeles, Los Angeles. 2011.
- “Lithic Raw Material Sourcing and the Assessment of Mesolithic Landscape Organization and Mobility Strategies in Northern England”, with J. L. Langer, A. A. Evans, R. E. Donahue, Y. B. Wolframm. The Holocene 20:1157-1163. 2010.
- “Specialization of Ceramic Production: A Sherd Assemblage Based Analytic Perspective”, with A. Hirshman and H. Pollard. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 29:265-277. 2010.
- “A Pedagogue’s Tale of Laurel Scrapers, Caching, and Collective Behavior”. In A Superior Archaeology: Papers in Honor of Marla M. Buckmaster. The Wisconsin Archeologist, guest edited by J. Richards and J. Skibo, 90(1&2):132-154. 2010.
- “Between the Glaciers and Europeans: Michigan’s First People 12 000 B.P. to 400 B.P.” In Michigan: Geography and Geology, edited by R. J. Schaetzl, J. T. Darden, and D. Brandt, pp. 389-401. Pearson Custom Publishing/Prentice-Hall, Boston, MA. 2009.
- "Hunter-Gatherer Adaptations and Alternate Perspectives on the Michigan Archaic: Research Problems in Context" In Archaic Societies of the Midcontinent, edited by T. Emerson, D. McElrath, and A. Fortier, pp. 725-754. The State University of New York Press, Albany. 2009.
- “Chronology and Evolution of the Green Point Floodplain and Associated Cucurbita pepo”, with G. W. Monaghan. In Current Research in Northeast Paleoethnobotany II, edited by J. P. Hart, pp. 141-150. Bulletin 512. New York State Museum, Albany. 2008.
- "The Sourcing of 'Black Chert': Implications for Mesolithic Hunter-Gatherer Mobility Strategies in Northern England" with A. A. Evans, Y. B. Wolframm, and R. E. Donahue. Journal of Archaeological Science, 34:2161-2169. 2007.
- "The Freshwater Reservoir and Radiocarbon Dates on Cooking Residues: Old Apparent Ages or a Single Outlier? Comments on Fischer and Heinemeier (2003)" with J.P. Hart. Radiocarbon: an International Journal of Cosmogenic Isotope Research, 49:1403-1410. 2007.
- “Paleodietary Implications from Stable Isotope Analysis of Experimental Cooking Residues," with J.P. Hart, J.K. Schulenberg, and J.R. Urquhart. Journal of Archaeological Science 34:804-813. 2007.
- "Regional Sampling and Site Evaluation Strategies for Predicting Mesolithic Settlement in the Yorkshire Dales, England" with R. E. Donahue. In Preserving the Early Past. Investigation, Selection and Preservation of Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Sites and Landscapes, edited by E. Rensink and H. Peeters, pp. 13-24. Nederlandse Archeologische Rapporten (NAR) 31. Rijksdienst voor het Oudheidkundig Bodemonderzoek (ROB), Amersfoort, The Netherlands. 2006.
- "Regional Settlement Systems in Mesolithic Northern England: Scalar Issues in Mobility and Territoriality," with R.E. Donahue. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 25:248-258. 2006.
- "The Earliest Cucurbita from the Great Lakes Region, Northern USA," with G.W. Monaghan and K.C. Egan-Bruhy. Quaternary Research: An Interdisciplinary Journal 65:216-222. 2006.
- "Long Distance Logistic Mobility as an Organizing Principle among Northern Hunter-Gatherers: A Great Lakes Middle Holocene Settlement System," with R.E. Donahue and M.B. Holman. American Antiquity 70:669-693. 2005.
- "Regional Settlement in Mesolithic Northern England" and "Predicting Mesolithic Settlement in the Yorkshire Dales" produced with R.E. Donahue and H. Russ. Yorkshire Dales National Park Visitor Center, Malham, North Yorkshire, England. 2007 and ongoing.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, James B. Hoffa Case, 2006
- Society for American Archaeology Presidential Recognition Award, 1998
- Testimony to Senate and House of Representatives Committees of U. S. Congress, 1992-1995
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1973
- New York University Scholar, 1965-1969