ABOUT THESE RESOURCES
Thousands of visitors enjoyed the exhibition Threads of Change: The Transformation of West African Textiles at the Michigan State University Museum. This website provides resources from the exhibit, information about West Africa, and curriculum aids and lessons useful to educators and others who want to learn about West Africa through textiles.
What you will find here:
- Five Essays set the stage
- - Understanding the Exhibit by the curator, Chris Worland
- - Introduction to West Africa by David Wiley, Ph.D.
- - Introduction to Mali by Stephen Esquith, Ph.D.
- - Contemporary Art of Africa by Candance Keller, Ph.D
- - Textiles of West Africa by Robert Glew, Ph.D
- Two slideshows overview the textile art and Mali
- - Images of the beautiful textiles and information from Threads of Change introduce points of social and historical context for these textiles.
- -A slide show of Mali and its people along with maps of the West African countries whose textiles are included in the exhibit.
- Maps of West Africa and Mali
- -The map of West Africa highlights the countries of origin for the textiles from the slide show, West African Textiles. The map of Mali highlights the towns and cities featured in the slide show, Mali and its People.