Martha Wade Sherwood, Ida Pullum and Mary Vida Schafer
Holly, Oakland County, MI, and Flushing, Genesee County, MI
c1887 (top), 1967 (finishing)
91" x 97"
Cotton with polyester filling
Photo by KEVA, all rights reserved Michigan State
The top was completed in 1887 at Holly, Michigan by Martha Wade
Sherwood, who signed her name and date in embroidery. In about 1967
Mary Schafer of Flushing, Michigan added a white border to the top
and quilted it to a polyester filling and cotton back, using diagonal,
straight feather, outline, and original quilting designs. The finished
quilt has been exhibited at the Whaley House in Flint, Michigan.
Quilts: 150 Years of a Textile Tradition