Silk, cotton foundation
45” x 60”
MSUM 6806.1, Gift of Mrs. Peggy Higbee
Photo by Fumio Ichikawa, all rights reserved Michigan
State University Museum
Many of the silk "Log Cabins" in this period were made
of strips of a quarter-inch to a half-inch wide. Some quilt historians
speculate that the strips may have been remnants gleaned from glove
making factories. Gloves were lined with silk and these strips would
have been left after cutting out the fingers. These "Log Cabin"
blocks were pieced on cotton foundations, sometimes on salt sacks.
The donor's father purchased this quilt in 1948 from DuMouchelle
Galleries, a fine arts gallery in Birmingham, Michigan, indicating
that some considered quilts to be art previous to the 1970s.
Quilts from Michigan State University Museum