Copy of Harriet Powers'
American Pacific Enterprises in concert with the Smithsonian
Cotton with polyester filling
84 1/2” x 88”
MSUM 7341.1, Smithsonian registration #21883
Photo by KEVA, all rights reserved Michigan State
This copy was purchased from the Speigel Company mail order catalogue
as a study/teaching specimen. It has value as a copy of Powers'
quilt but also as an excellent example of the way in which quilts
have achieved such enormous popularity that commercial companies
are contracting these reproductions for sale to mass markets. This
quilt, like many other reproduction textiles, was made in China.
Bible stories. From left to right:
(1) Adam and Eve with serpent and other animals
(2) Adam and Eve in the Garden
(3) Satan amidst seven stars
(4) Cain killing Abel and Cain's sheep in the field
(5) Cain getting wife in the land of Nod; various animals
(6) Jacob's ladder
(7) baptism of Christ, with dove
(9) Judas with 30 pieces of silver
(10) the Last Supper; Judas is the dark figure
(11) the Holy Family: baby Jesus, Mary, and Joseph