Darwin Discovery Day
and Annual Natural History Identification Day at the MSU Museum
Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011
from 1-5 p.m. - Free
Evolution in Action
NEW Tiktaalik: see this new addition to the MSU Museum's collections. Learn more:http://museum.msu.edu/WhatsNew/News/
COMING SOON TO THE MSU MUSEUM: TIKTAALIK, THE 'FISHOPOD'
- Ask a Curator: museum curators and MSU specialists can help you identify backyard curiosities: bring in a rock, bone, fossil, tooth or other natural object*
- Darwin at his desk--Rich Bellon, MSU Darwin scholar will answer questions about Darwin's life and work.
- Live critters with the MSU Herpetology Club and MSU Museum's naturalist, Jim Harding the Critterguy.
- Tours of the MSU Museum's "Bug Room," where beetles help prepare animal skeletons for inclusion in the collections as they clean away flesh from tiny crevices in bone that human hands and tools can never reach.
- Rare, behind-the-scenes tours of MSU Museum research collections.
- Dinosaur casts in Habitat Hall, showing recent finds from museum fieldwork and research in Tanzania, on the African continent.
- Hands-on activities for kids with MSU 4-H Children's Garden and Department of Horticulture.
- Books and educational resources at the Museum Store and giveaways for educators.
*The MSU Museum cannot provide estimates on the commercial value of any specimen nor provide expertise on human-made artifacts at this program.
The Michigan State University Museum joins natural history museums and science centers around the world in observing naturalist Charles Darwin's birthday with special programs. Science institutions worldwide have created special programs around Darwin's birthday that help promote an appreciation for the benefits of scientific knowledge acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity. Learn more at http://darwinday.org.
Thanks to our sponsors:
- Bake N Cakes
- Center for Integrative Studies
- College of Law
- College of Natural Science
- College of Osteopathic Medicine
- College of Social Science
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Geography
- Department of Geological Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of Plant Biology
- Department of Zoology
- Division of Science & Math Education
- Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior
- General Science (Center for Integrative Studies in General Science)
- Michigan 4-H Children's Garden
- Michigan State University Libraries
- Lyman Briggs College
- Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies
- Paramount Coffee
- Provost's Office
- Science, Technology, Environment and Public Policy Specialization
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- University Outreach and Engagement
Also of interest on YouTube: