Discovering Darwin and Celebrating Science
Sunday, February 8, 2015
from 1-5 p.m. - Free
Activities in the works:
• Get up close to live snakes, turtles, and other reptiles and amphibians with the
MSU Herpetology Club and MSU Museum's naturalist, Jim Harding the Critterguy
• Learn about conservation of endangered species from students from
MSU's Fisheries & Wildlife Club
• Ask an expert: museum curators and MSU specialists can help you identify backyard curiosities: bring in a rock, bone, fossil, tooth or other natural object*
• Darwin "KidZone" - Meet Rich Bellon, MSU Darwin scholar, become a junior scientist and earn a science item to take home
• Once-a-year-opportunity to touch Interesting and unusual specimens from MSU Museum's natural science collections and live critters from the MSU Bug House
• Behind-the-scenes tours of MSU Museum research collections
• Robots and computer simulations from MSU Beacon Center for the Study of Evolution in Action
• Dinosaur casts in Habitat Hall
• Hands-on activities for kids
• Books and educational resources at the Museum Store
• Birthday cake!
*The MSU Museum cannot provide estimates on the commercial value of any specimen nor provide expertise on human-made artifacts at this program
Also of interest...
MSU Library Film Series: Sharknado
Thursday, February 12, 2015 @ 7:00p.m.
Main Library North Conference Room, W449
Presented by Dr. Michael Gottfried, Department of Geological Sciences & Dr. Lifeng Luo, Department of Geography
Join us on Darwin’s birthday for cake!
Examine Shark teeth and skeletal material up close!
The Michigan State University Museum joins natural science museums and science centers around the world in observing naturalist Charles Darwin's birthday with special programs that help promote an appreciation for the benefits of scientific knowledge acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity. Learn more at http://darwinday.org.
Also of interest on YouTube:
Thanks to our sponsors:
The Darwin Discovery Day Committee thanks the following sponsors:
Bake N’ Cakes
BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action
Center for Integrative Studies in General Science
College of Natural Science
College of Social Science
Department of Anthropology
Department of Geography
Department of Geological Sciences
Department of Plant Biology
Department of Zoology
Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior Program
Kellogg Biological Station
Lyman Briggs College
Office of the Provost
Office of Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies
OfficeMax Print Center